Wednesday, September 5, 2012

10 Days and counting

Well, technically its more like 13 days for me till the start of a fall season full of fun and adventure with a new team of girls.

It will be strange knowing that I wont see some of the girls because they are in middle school this year AND I am going to have a new crew of cute little 3rd graders. I am over the moon with excitement.

Even more so since I found out yesterday that without me even going to the school, advertising, emailing, or any kind of heads up to the families of where I coach, I pretty much already have a full team.

I of course have the book that I follow as much as I can because sometimes we have to adjust for indoor since outdoors in the fall can be full of cold and wet days.  But I have been creative this summer with coming up with workout routines through lots of reading, working out with other people, and my own training.

Before any parents or professional trainers panic, I do not bring weights in and have my girls doing bench presses or anything crazy.  But an exercise like a mountain climber or sit ups can be great if done correctly with kids.  I am really particular about watching for form and even more excited to hopefully bring in some guest coaches again this fall and letting them take part in warming the girls up or even helping teach lessons to the girls.  The girls like the change of pace from the normal faces they see.

So I am armed with some healthy snack ideas, I am ready for inclement weather, I have tools to help push the girls both in their physical training and hopefully in their well being exercises (ie learning to tune into the right message).

So lets get it on!!!

I am no longer the new coach on the block. So as I develop writing about my coaching, I am hoping to find ways to offer bits of advice through the season for other coaches.  I have learned so much from other coaches from ideas of how to keep the girls entertained on a rainy day to ways to discipline without having to single someone out or express anger.

Keep Moving Forward.

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck! We started last Monday. I've got a GREAT group of girls... 10 total. No one came back from last year, but it's ok because they are all onto bigger and better things. I have a BUNCH of 5th graders who just started middle school. Middle school starts in 5th grade at our school, so everything is new and kinda scary to them... I am also officially head coach this year so I'm doing my best to make this an awesome and fun season. I even decided to put together a prize box for the girl who gets the energy award. It just has a bunch of cheap grab bag prizes in it. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, i like the prize box idea. Maybe a box of sticker/tattoos/pencils. I usually keep a running list of people who have gotten the energy award. But maybe it would make it a bigger deal if they for a little sticker or something for it. might have to go shopping tonight.

      Delete
    2. I have a couple of pencils in my box. I think they say "life is a journey; travel drug free." My husband bought a fake mustache and put it in the box... lol ... almost everyone has contemplated the mustache, and then put it down. Actually, I'm trying very hard not to pick just one girl each practice. We just had our third practice today. We had three girls for diffrent reasons today; but they are all just great.

      Delete